Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Field Trip

Our first field trip was to the San Antonio Missions. Just two of them actually (there are four...and technically five including the Alamo); Mission Espada, and Mission San Jaun. The kids loved it! I think they were especially gung-ho because it was our first field trip. They stood and read the signs with me and we explored all the ruins. The churches are beautiful and they are all still used as regular meeting houses- and have been since they were built in the 1750s! 

Mission San Juan




 Mission Espada

Inside Espada
They are Franciscans at Espada (maybe at all of them, but I'm not sure), so at the front is a statue of Saint Francis, then Mary on one side, and Christ on the other. There were a few crucifixes and another detailed statue of Christ on the cross in another corner. In our church (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints) the cross isn't represented as much because that's not how we want to remember our Savior. But I want to be sure to not be constantly making comparisons between our church and others when I'm teaching my children about other religions. I want our children to see the good and the beautiful that are in other religions- because there is so much! I also testify of truths that we teach in our religion, but I'm careful to not ignore the beautiful truths and teachings we can learn from in other religions. So I explained to Cole and Grace that in the Catholic church they have statues and pictures of Christ on the cross to help them remember Him and what He did for us. So come Sunday after our church is over, Gracie hands me a picture she drew in class of a cross with a stick figure on it:) I smiled. (We truly never see that symbol at church so I wondered what her teachers thought:)


We stopped at a park for lunch and notebook writing time. I realized we were surrounded by Pecan trees so Bea and I grabbed some off the ground! She was a good helper and so excited. 

No comments: